What’s better than a warm bowl of hearty, comforting tomato soup? This big-batch Basic Garlicky Tomato Soup comes together in less than an hour – the perfect low maintenance dinner to last you through the week.
One of the things that I love in life is a big-batch soup that you can make once, and then freeze for endless dinners. Or rather, freeze for like 2 (maybe 3) dinners… But 3 dinners is better than no dinners in my books. Consequently, if you’re like me, then this Basic Garlicky Tomato Soup is the perfect recipe for you.
Serve with grilled cheese (+ extra cheese) for best results.
How do you meal plan?
Meal-planning can be a grind and a half, but I always find it so worth my time and energy. I don’t know about you, but having my meals prepped for the week (or at least my lunches), sets me up for success. It also prevents the mad overspending that comes with “popping over to Whole Foods to buy a light salad that turns into $25 you will never see again”.
I tend to do my meal-planning on Sundays only because it works the best within my schedule. Almost every Sunday I will make a big-batch soup or crockpot recipe like this Vegan Vegetable & ‘Cheese’ Soup or this Smoky Vegan Sweet Potato Chili. I make it all at once and then freeze it in containers or freezer bags (trying to use more containers and less plastic for Earth reasons). Then voila! You have a few meals that are super easy to pack in your cute purple lunch bag or heat up after a long day at work/school.
Yields About 10 cups
What's better than a warm bowl of hearty, comforting tomato soup? This big-batch Basic Garlicky Tomato Soup comes together in less than an hour - the perfect low maintenance dinner to last you through the week.
8 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
58 minTotal Time
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (white or yellow)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans (28 oz each) whole tomatoes (including juices)*
- 4 cups no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter (optional - can use vegan butter as a substitute)
- Optional: top with plan Greek yogurt for an extra creamy soup!
- In a large pot on the stovetop, heat extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the canned tomatoes (including juices), vegetable broth and red wine. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, allow the soup to cool for 5-10 minutes. Using a high-speed blender that can accommodate hot foods, or an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Add the chopped basil and blend, just until mixed.
- Stir in the salt, pepper and butter (if using). Top with plain Greek yogurt (if using).
*To lower the sodium, choose no-salt-added canned tomatoes