Put that basil from your herb garden to good use with this fresh Mediterranean-style Chickpea Feta Salad with Arugula Pesto, also serving as the perfect side dish for any summer BBQ.
Yields About 7 cups
Put that basil from your herb garden to good use with this fresh Mediterranean-style salad, also serving as the perfect side dish for any summer BBQ.
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 cup packed arugula
- 1/2 cup packed basil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 clove fresh garlic
- Juice from 1/2 a fresh lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 (19oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 large english cucumber, diced
- 1 cup diced feta cheese
- In the bowl of a food processor (or magic bullet-style blender), combine ingredients for the arugula pesto: arugula, basil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas in a colander (rinsing will remove excess sodium added during canning). In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients: chickpeas, diced tomato, diced cucumber and diced feta cheese.
- Stir in pesto sauce until evenly coated.