Not-your-average banana loaf packed with nutritional punch. Walnuts, chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds give this PowerSeed Banana Loaf a nutty, delicious flavour.
This, most certainly, is NOT your average banana loaf.
Similar to my Peanut Butter Banana Bread, I decided that it was 1000% necessary to add a little bit of flare to my standard banana bread recipe. Plain banana bread, though incredibly delicious, has made one too many appearances in my kitchen lately.
Seeds are a fantastic way to add a little bit of extra fibre, vitamins and minerals to your baking. In this recipe I used chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and threw in some walnuts for good measure. If you’re baking for someone with a nut allergy, you could absolutely omit the walnuts and swap for more of the pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
Happy Spring baking, I hope you enjoy your very own PowerSeed Banana Loaf 🙂
Yields 1 large loaf (about 10 slices)
Not-your-average banana loaf packed with a nutritional punch. Walnuts, chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds give this loaf a nutty, delicious flavour.
25 minPrep Time
55 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 3 extra ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1.5 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1.5 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mashed bananas, canola oil, brown sugar and vanilla extract until fully combined. Stir in eggs and plain Greek yogurt.
- Add whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and baking soda. Stir just until flour is mixed in. Gently fold in 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle top of the loaf with remaining 1 teaspoon of chia seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. With your hand, gently press the seeds in so they stick to the top of the loaf while baking.
- Bake for about 55 minutes or until a tester placed into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.