This Vegan Vegetable & ‘Cheese’ Soup is deliciously ‘creamy’ and veggie-filled, made with leeks, celery, carrot, broccoli and potatoes. Seasoned with a smoky paprika and crisp apple cider vinegar. Made completely vegan with the creamy cheddar-taste of B12-filled nutritional yeast.
I’m warning you, nutritional yeast looks kind of freaky if this is your first time buying it…
The first time I bought it I was like OH HECK NO. However, wanting to be a good sport, I bought it thinking that I would use it ALL THE TIME. You think that being a dietitian gives you this innate ability to push past the odd (and perhaps unappetizing) look of a food since you know how good it is for you. But I’ll be honest with you in saying that the darn nutritional yeast sat in my pantry for a long, long time. So if you find yourself feeling this way as you’re perusing through the natural foods aisle or bulk department please know you’re not alone. It’s all flaky and yellow and odd…
BUT PLEASE don’t get scared off because nutritional yeast is pretty darn magical once you get past all that.
I promise I am leading you in the right direction with this Vegan Vegetable & ‘Cheese’ Soup. As mentioned, despite the appearance, nutritional yeast is a super super powerful addition to your meals. It has a hint of cheesy flavour while being completely vegan. ALSO, it is a source of vitamin B12, which, if you’re not eating any animal-based products, is pretty hard to come by.
You can sprinkle it on your popcorn or kale chips (if you’re a kale-chip kinda person) to get a hint of cheddar flavour. I will often add it to salad dressings to add a bit of a creamy consistency. I’m in love with this salad dressing in particular. I’ve made it many many times and it is so crisp, fresh and delicious.
So, don’t be scared of the nutritional yeast. Despite the name, the look and the flakiness, it deserves a chance in your kitchen. I promise you that.
Yields About 5-6 cups of soup
This Vegan Vegetable & 'Cheese' Soup is deliciously 'creamy' and veggie-filled, made with leeks, celery, carrot, broccoli and potatoes. Seasoned with a smoky paprika and crisp apple cider vinegar. Made completely vegan with the creamy cheddar-taste of B12-filled nutritional yeast.
20 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced leek (white parts only)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika*
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cups diced peeled potato
- 4 cups no salt added vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Garnish (optional): chopped herbs (like parsley or basil), chopped walnuts or toasted pumpkin seeds
- In a large pot, heat extra-virgin olive oil. Add diced leek and minced garlic over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until slightly softened and fragrant.
- Add diced celery and carrot and heat for another 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add smoked paprika and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add chopped broccoli, diced peeled potato, vegetable broth and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, once boiling turn the heat down to medium-low, cover with the lid and heat for 30-35 minutes, or until potatoes are completely softened. Stir occasionally.
- Once vegetables are cooked, add nutritional yeast and sea salt. Blend with an immersion blender until completely smooth. Serve with a garnish of your choice - chopped parsley, basil, walnuts, whatever you like!
*Always make sure your herbs and spices are fresh! Old paprika will have very little aroma and minimal taste.
This recipe was updated from its original version on 01/25/18
Recipe Note: if you’re unsure how to chop a leek, check out my Creamy Greek Yogurt Leek and Cauliflower Soup for more direction 🙂